Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Back to the Future: Paul D's Paradoxical Presence

Does Paul D represent the past or the future?

Mr. Mitchell has brought up this question multiple times, though we've never discussed it in depth. To me, this question poses a more important underlying question: is Paul D a suitable partner for Sethe? In this blog post, I will argue both sides and let yall make the final judgement.

Paul D is the past. He knows Sethe from Sweethome, and she will always associate him with the days she was enslaved. Paul D will continue adding horrifying details to Sethe's inventory of Sweethome memories, which will inevitably lead to her agonizing over these moments. Paul D will keep Sethe from moving on and prohibit any kind of "letting go" she might be capable of. He will perpetuate the haunting nature of the past by attempting to stay in Sethe's life, serving as a constant reminder of what she's lost.

Paul D is the future. He is the only one who understands the horrors of Sethe's past. He can relate to her and support her better than anyone else. They share a deep, personal connection because of the pain they've endured together. They know the value of love better than anyone, and if they truly love each other, they will go to great lengths to ensure the other's happiness. Paul D knows how much Sethe values family because of Sweethome. He wants to make a real family with her, complete with carnivals and babies. Paul D is more motivated than anyone to foster that sense of familial togetherness Sethe has lacked for so long.

I suppose I should've posted this before we read the chapters for last night, as we saw Paul D walk out on Sethe. However, it is still intriguing to think about what exactly Sethe needs most and whether or not Paul D could provide it.

5 comments:

  1. I think Paul D is does represent the past which for both is quite haunting, but I think he can help her transition her life towards something positive because they've shared grief. Paul D might be the most genuine person that Sethe might every meet and I doubt that she'd be able to move on without him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also thinking about this, especially after Paul walked out. Part of me was relieved but part of me was sad and disappointed. On one hand, being a single woman raising a child in the 19th century, ostracized by her community, with nobody to rely on, I can see why a man, especially Paul D, could be reassuring. On the other hand, she has managed pretty well thus far. She does have a pretty big house and a job, doesn’t seem to be in financial hardship, and even seems happy with her life with Denver. I was mostly disappointed after Paul D left because if anybody could understand this story, it would be him. I can’t really envision another human being who would be able to understand Sethe’s fear of Schoolteacher (except maybe Halle but he is presumably dead), so if not Paul D, I don’t think Sethe could/can make a future with anybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until Paul D left, I was thinking that he would help Sethe because he could understand her and support her. Although he was a constant reminder of Sweet Home, Sethe's life is completely haunted by Sweet Home and I thought the positive new experiences he could bring might outweigh the pain of new rememories. Now that he's left I'm not so sure. Sethe would need understanding from him but he's insulted her and has not been able to talk to her about his own experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say that Paul D is unsuitable for Sethe unless he opens himself up to accepting what happened over the 18 years and doesn't stay ignorant. If he just continues to dwell in the past, he will just cause more harm for Sethe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmmm. Nice post. I'm not sure which side I agree with. I think in a way, Paul D. represents the potential to move on from the past - he is a support system for Sethe, and as you said, is the only one who understands what she went through at Sweet Home. Perhaps for Sethe moving on means having a family (with babies, at carnivals) and moving forward, and trying to accept the past, and Paul D tries to help with both. The past is so horrible, however, I'm not sure anyone would be able to accept it. And maybe this is part of why their relationship fails. Does that make sense? Thanks for the food for thought!!

    ReplyDelete